While everyone’s certainly seems to be feeling the lighter side of Coca Cola in Vancouver and along the  Olympic torch run,here is a little something-something that came into my email box this week.  Lawyers from Coca Cola’s  New York office have tried to quash the Canada wide film tour of one very shocking documentary: The Coca Cola Case.  I thought you might find this story relevent, considering everything you see around Vancouver lately is covered in either Mcdonalds or Coca Cola sponsorship ads.

This is a must see film.

Here is the synopsis, excerpted from the  film tour site:

SYNOPSIS: Colombia is the trade union murder capital of the world. Since 2002, more than 470 workers’ leaders have been brutally killed, usually by paramilitaries hired by private companies intent on crushing the unions. Among these unscrupulous corporate brands is the poster boy for American business: Coca-Cola.

Talk to Martin Gil: His brother Isidro was killed at point-blank range while working at the Coca-Cola bottling plant in Carepa, because he was part of a union bargaining unit. Like most violent crimes committed against Colombian union leaders, Gil’s murder went unpunished.

However, U.S. lawyers Daniel Kovalik and Terry Collingsworth, as well as activist Ray Rogers, stepped in and launched an ambitious crusade against the behemoth Coca-Cola. In an incredible three-year saga, filmmakers Germán Gutiérrez and Carmen Garcia follow these heroes in a legal game of cat and mouse. From Bogotá to New York, Guatemala to Atlanta, Washington to Canada, The Coca-Cola Case maintains the suspense of a hard-fought struggle.

The lawyers filed several cases at the U.S. federal court against Cola-Cola for murder, abduction and torture committed in Colombia and Guatemala. Thanks to activist Ray Rogers, they also attacked the brand image of the Atlanta-based giant, with the devastating campaign Stop Killer Coke!, causing dozens of U.S. colleges and universities to boycott the drink.

Still the company would not give up. After five years of haggling, will the lawyers get justice? In the end, they reach a settlement of sorts, but what will the victims choose – cash, or power and integrity?

Now,while you may have heard rumblings over the last few years about these incidents, the real story is this: Concordia-based film collective Cinema Politica received a threatening letter on Jan. 11 from the lawyers for Coca-Cola stating that the network’s planned film tour for documentary The Coca-Cola Case violates a confidentiality agreement. Now, that wouldn’t have something to do with the 5 ring circus that is about to descend on Vancouver shortly, would it?  Not to be bullied,  the film tour continues, and is being shown at these dates and time in locations throughout  British Columbia :

January 28th, 2010:  Norm Theatre, UBC, @ 12: 30 pm

January 28th, 2010: Open Nite Theatre, Mission @ 6: 3o pm

January 30, 2010  : Langara College 100 W. 49th Avenue ,Vancouver World Community Film Festival – call for time of screening

February 6, 2010 :  1:15PM,  Filberg Senior’s Lounge, Courtenay

February 20, 2010:  3:45PM, Malaspina/VIU Campus , Nanaimo, 2010 Nanaimo Global Film Festival

And if this trailer doesn’t get you going, nothing will. You’ll never look at a bottle of coke the same way…

This entry was posted in crime, Laila Yuile and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Coming to a screen near you:” The Coca Cola Case ” ~ (The movie Coca Cola would rather no one watches)

1. BC Mary says:

Great post, Laila.

And that strange popping noise we hear? Those are many tiny brains exploding. Why? Because they’ve been carefully trained to think UNIONS = BAD.

Thanks for finding this, and having the courage to show it.

Thank you, Mary. It is an eye-opener, for sure. Sure is a hell of a method of union busting, no?
    Makes you thank someone that the big union busters in BC can’t resort to this methodology.

3. Randy says:

Way to go, this looks awesome Laila! Thanks for posting this one, otherwise I\’d have missed it.

I think its time we all realised the purchasing power we hold as consumers, and make more concientous choices when we buy things. Like not buying from companies that use child labor, or underpaid women in India, that kind of thing.
    This is just like that. I can see why Coke wouldnt want this around during the Olympics. Good on you for bringing this to us!

Hope to see you at the film!

4. Anne says:

Uh, so why has this not been in the paper? Or has it and I missed it? This is the perfect time to show this movie, how smart of the makers to do this.

That trailer makes me a little ill. I can’t wait to see the whole thing. Someone should take this viral…

Thanks, and cheers!

5. Gary E says:

Thanks for posting this Laila. And now you know why I have boycotted Coke for over 40 years. By the way I have boycotted Mickey D’s for about the same amount of time. But for different reasons. I may write about that someday if we can get through this Fish Lake Prosperity mine debacle.

6. Leah says:

Excellent article Laila!! I wish the movie was going to be shown here…but being a liberal stronghold, I doubt it will get by the a$$kissers around here. But I digress.

Like Gary, I’ve boycotted Coke for years…and in order to do it right, I had to dig to find out what they own. Here is a list of some of their products:

Here is a link to a story about their shenanigans in India – and how India is trying to stand against them.

In my opinion, they are one of the dirtiest corporations on this planet in every way imaginable.

Another link, if folks are really interested in finding the truth:

Great stuff Lady!

Thanks Randy

Anne, I imagine the newspapers here wouldn’t follow this as a story because they would consider this un-newsworthy…but the fact that eastern papers have covered the story would indicate otherwise to me, especially in light of the intimidation tactic letter Coke sent to the film makers recently. Somone from Canwest Global reads here daily, among other local press, so perhaps they will pick it up.
      Gary, good on you for making that decision. Personally, I try to be as careful with my spending dollars as I can be, in making buying choices as well entertainment. If the profit is going somewhere I don’t like, it’s not going to happen if there is an alternative. Unfortunately, sometimes there is not, but I still do my best.

AND.. FYI- Coca Cola has a host of other products in their lineup, some that people may not be aware are Coca Cola products:

Dasani bottled water – which by the way, is simply tap water that is filtered. Get a Brita if that is your thing, those bottles are everywhere!

Minute Maid juices

Fresca
      Sprite
      Powerade
      Five Alive
      Fruitopia
      Nestea
      Fanta
      Barq’s
      Far Coast= coffees /teas
      Chaqwa= coffe type drinks
      Odwalla
      Full throttle
      Tab
      Bacardi mixers- sold in the freezer aisle
      Vault

It is interesting to note that as the synopsis points out, many campus’s have banned the sale of coke products in protest to this, and other coca cola situations. A university contract is huge revenue stream for Coke…

7. Gary E says:

All of the above are on my list Laila. Like you I am a frugal shopper but my UNION PENSION allows me to make a few small choices against anti-union companies. Walmart?

8. Rick says:

Awesome! You’ve got brass, honey! Thanks for this, and I hope you don’t mind if I spread the word. I’ve had it up to here with all the Coke marketing in this town. As if Coke products and Mikky -D’s are the best things to put inside your body. Well, maybe water is, but hell, you can turn on your tap and get your Dasani for free, so why would you buy a bottle?

Coke bites. Theres a slogan that works.

9. Chad says:

Geez., this sucks. Now what do I mix my rum with? Hows Pepsi for business practices in under-developed countries?

10. Pingback: The Progressive Mind » Coming to a screen near you:” The Coca Cola Case ” ~ (The movie Coca Cola would rather no one watches) « I’m Laila Yuile, and This Is How I See It