A new venue, and a new way to share my views and perspectives

24hrsI am very pleased to announce that today, I accepted an offer to join 24rs  as a columnist for their weekly feature, The Duel, which appears in every Monday edition!

I’d like to invite you to join in the debate as Kathryn  Marshall and I battle over the issues of the day – and then you get your chance to say who the winner is each week!

For me, this is a great opportunity to share my views and perspectives with a larger audience and connect with new readers … as well as having a more than a little fun debating Kathryn!

And because I know you’ll be asking… yes, I’ll still be blogging here, and with the Huffington Post BC, bringing you the stories you are used to. So, grab a copy on your way to work if you are on the coast Monday morning, and for my readers out of the area, you can access it online at http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/  or via the E-edition http://eedition.vancouver.24hrs.ca/epaper/viewer.aspx

Of course, I’ll post the column here as well, following the paper edition. I hope you’ll come along for the ride!

This entry was posted in BC Liberals, BC NDP, BC Politics, crime, Enbridge, Federal politics, forestry, Independent power projects, Laila Yuile, The China Connection, The Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to A new venue, and a new way to share my views and perspectives

1. West End Bob says:

Way to go, Laila!

Looking forward to your battles for Our Side!

2. Linda says:

Congratulations!

3. davidtrudel says:

Excellent! Well deserved.

4. Will Hartman says:

Good! More honest journalism to counter the mindless drivel coming from The Vancouver Sun and CKNW.

Haha! I don’t know that you would call this journalism.. but as far as columns go, I can present my side of the debate, which as you know from my writing here, I tend to do quite analytically.

5. johnsaghast says:

Congratulations! You’ll (no pun intended) have Kathryn Marshall for lunch! I failed to comment on your last post because you covered everything so well! Lady, you ROCK!!

Why thank you sir! I’ve been reading Kathryns columns and she’s very concise, so we shall see….

Yes, my inner passion is still those darned transportation projects… weird I know, but I guess they combine the business and construction aspects and with this government, the investigative work as well…. have one coming, most likely next week, on the Port Mann… should be interesting : )

6. anybody but crusty says:

Way to go! The media is fortunate to be able to land a class reporter and columnist of your calibre. There are very few left.

You are too kind, really. I have been overwhelmed by all the support here, by email and on facebook, and the confidence everyone has in me and my writing. Your kind words are very appreciated!

7. Urban Rider says:

That’s great! That paper gets read by so many.

8. Congratulations Laila!!!!! We need a lot more of YOU out there to tell the truth about what’s happening in our World. Go get em! hugs hugs hugs

9. Loni Eliot says:

Looking forward to your weekly commentary, Laila.

10. RossK says:

Really, really fantastic news Laila.

Congratulations!

Thank RossK! It’s a perfect fit with all of this too, because it is freelance, so it doesn’t impact my writing here or elsewhere at all. Love it!

11. Joe Canuck says:

Way to GO! You’re our Erin Brokovich. Keep up the good work. Didn’t realize until yesterday that you have worked on corruption and graft issues for years. I’ve only just signed up for your daily posts via email. Why isn’t government graft and corruption being covered in msm? You put the so-called “journalists” to shame. The corruption here is almost as bad as in China. BTW, good work on the Christy Clark MILF story…that’s how I came upon your blog last week.

12. Congratulations Laila & welcome to the 24 Hours Vancouver columnist team! I am thrilled you are joining the paper and will ably take over from David Eby, who has been great! But don’t anyone underestimate Kathryn Marshall – she is a formidable debater and spokesperson for the right. Plus she is a nice person, as is Laila.

• Don F. says:

You’ve got to be kidding right Bill? With the okay let’s go team pep talk I mean?
      Nice people are everywhere Bill, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the ability or the will to be honest or forthright. Laila has that ability in spades!
      Only time will tell who the formiible debater is.

Thank you Bill, I am really honoured to be on board! And I realized very belatedly this morning that in my excitement of posting last night, I failed to thank you for putting forth my name as a recommendation when the search began for someone to fill David Ebys spot. I’m very happy it’s worked out the way it has, and really look forward to my debates with Kathryn. We spoke last night – it’s kind of funny,she got an earful of my kids since it was nearly their bedtime – and I think we are both eager to start our columns!

13. Jean says:

All the best Laila, looking forward to your honest well-researched column.

Thank you Jean! I hope you enjoy them as well!

15. MCMURTRY FAMILY says:

Congratulations, Laila, on your new gig. It’s well deserved. Jim McMurtry :-)

16. Julie says:

Your work is the best Laila. Good for you.

17. sjm says:

Congratulations Laila, always look forward to reading your work no matter where you write :)

18. Lynnie + Dan says:

Congratulations Laila! We’ve been reading you for years and this is our first comment for my husband and I. Sometimes we feel like we really know you,like a good neighbour! I read your posts to him because he doesnt like sitting at the box,he calls it,and the comments too. We are just so happy for you.We just told our friends that you are in the paper now since they take skytrain to work,so thats nice for them to read you on Mondays now.Keep on the truth,girl! Lynnie and Dan

19. nonconfidencevote says:

Sorry for the belated congratulations Laila…. I’ve been down with the flu for most of the week. Zero incentive to even turn the computer on.
    Should make for an interesting matchup.
    You go girl!!!!!!

20. rmaharg says:

C’est magnifique Laila!

Maybe you can reiterate some of Evan Soloman’s questions that Kathryn Marshall wouldn’t answer.

21. West End Bob says:

Hey, Laila – Sorry I skimmed over your opposition writer previously. Reviewing this, her name was familiar and I thought she was interviewed by the stellar Anna Maria Tremonti on CBC Radio’s The Current. Sure enough, here is the interview from December 6, 2011:

Anna Maria eviscerates Ms. Marshall – It’s a classic!

Enjoy . . . . ;-)