100 + reasons the BC Liberals must go.
*** Stay tuned for the updated, all new version of this list ( with far more than 100 reasons,all documented) in October 2016. If you have suggestions,please add them to the comments, with a link to the news item,government link to substantiate the reason. ***
While the BC Liberals have always been very good at shouting their real and more often alleged wins, they are by far the masters of spin who smoothly deflect their failures into thin air.
The extent to which they will do this is quite phenomenal.
In the period of time since Christy Clark became premier,her skill as a political chameleon driven to garner votes has not gone un-noticed by the press, nor the voters of B.C.
Thankfully, British Columbians have long and solid memories of the Liberal era of government. Sadly, they continue to vote for them because the NDP have never been able to show why they deserve the vote more.
I’ve never been a member of any political party and I never will be, but I’ve investigated, researched and covered so many stories of the current governments misdeeds, that it’s been my opinion they need to go.’
Regular readers know that I have held both the Liberals and the NDP’s feet to the fire,and will continue to do so – any new government can expect my full attention to their activities in government as well… and possibly a new list if required. But facts are facts.
The BC Liberals have fostered an environment of deception and secrecy in the BC legislature, one where the less the people know about what is going on, the better it is for their party.
In 2010, I asked my readers to see how fast they could come up with 100 reasons NOT to vote for Gordon Campbell ( and the Liberals) again. Readers rose to the challenge, and the comment sections quickly filled with concrete examples of Liberal failures that have all occurred during that Golden Decade during which the BC Liberals revealed an agenda of slice and dice vs. corporate welfare.
Ironically, our current premier Christy Clark played a large role in many of the most drastic changes to the provinces most vulnerable citizens, while she was young MLA mentoring under Campbell. It’s important to remember that while Christy Clark has tried to rebrand the BC Liberal brand as “new” and different from Gordon Campbell… how different and new can they be when all the same names,faces and donors are still there?
Deals aren’t made in the legislature, but back rooms of restaurants and behind closed doors.
British Columbians must not be fooled by cheeky smiles,glib responses and a well-oiled,big money campaign. Let the facts speak for themselves.
What began as a fun challenge to readers, has become a comprehensive list of 100 + reasons the BC Liberals must go.
Please, feel free to continue to add to the list in the comment section below, and I simply ask that you provide concrete examples with links, if you can, so we can provide an honest and factual record of what I call the decade of deceit.
You are welcome to tweet, facebook and/or print the list for distribution – I only ask that you include reference back to this page.
146) During the Liberal leadership race, Clark campaigned on calling an early election to get a mandate from the people – in fact she said two years was too long to go to wait for an election with new leadership – and then promptly broke that promise once in the premiers office.http://www.ipolitics.ca/2010/12/15/b-c-liberal-leadership-hopefuls-call-for-early-vote-lower-voting-age/
145) Christy Clark thought it was funny to drive through a red light, on the urging of her son, with a reporter in the car. Her son stated ” You always do that.” Clark denied that was true,but the entire incident called into examination her judgement. https://lailayuile.com/2013/04/27/i-guess-the-message-from-our-premier-is-its-ok-to-do-it-as-long-as-you-dont-get-caught/
144) In 2001, newly elected Campbell tore up legally signed and binding contracts between the gov’t and the HEU, creating a rush to privatization that continues to this day.
143) Campbell gave himself a whopping raise of $ 60,951 in 2007, which works out to a crazy 48.1% hike – and gave all BC MLA’s a pay raise of 29% while he was at it. http://thetyee.ca/Views/2009/04/29/PayRaises/
142)Drunk driving conviction in 2003 while on vacation in Hawaii http://dawn.thot.net/campbell_dui_media.html ( I feel strongly politicians who are convicted for any crime, should no longer to be able to hold office, based on the notion that they need to provide an example of a standard of integrity that is inherent to the position. )
141) ” Fabricating ” an ‘energy crisis’ in BC to be solved by forcing the public utility BC Hydro to buy power at twice the market value from Liberal-stocked independent power producers and then reselling it at a loss to owners of air-conditioners in California .
140)Closed 24 of 68 courthouses so the Attorney General could meet budget targets , therefore putting excessive strain and overload on the remaining ones, and forcing people to travel further to deal with family and criminal matters.http://bccla.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/20120401-Justice-Denied-report1.pdf
139) above reduction in the number of courthouses has now lengthened the trial wait times in some areas to years, which often results in the accused being released from all charges because of the right to a speedy trial. http://bccla.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/20120401-Justice-Denied-report1.pdf
138) Since 2001, 10 jails have been closed across the province, creating dangerously overloaded conditions in the remaining facilities,and increasing the likelihood many criminals will serve time in the community or receive suspended sentences because of that overcrowding.https://lailayuile.com/2012/02/07/never-underestimate-the-predictability-of-stupidity-or-how-the-bc-liberals-are-now-overspending-to-fix-the-corrections-crisis-they-created/
137) Massive, MASSIVE cutbacks to legal aid services in this province, across the board, for the entire time the BC Liberals have been in power . More people than ever are unable to remedy family law and simple legal matters because of lack of funding and resulting closures to free clinics, help lines and offices. http://www.povnet.org/node/3629 details in the reasons below.
136) 85% of Legal Aid offices in BC closed,
135) reduction in 75% of staff
134) cut family law by 60%
133) Closure of LawLine, a free legal assistance number for low income people to access help and advice.
132)Closure of 5 regional Legal Aid offices in Surrey, Victoria, Kelowna, Kamloops and Prince George.
131)legislating the Paramedics working conditions. http://www.fpse.ca/news/fpse-news/free-collective-bargaining-takes-another-hit-campbell-government-legislates-paramedic
130) Campbell supports and champions the Enbridge project, and refuses to commit to protect the BC coastline from a spill like the Exxon Valdez You can read the debate here : http://www.leg.bc.ca/hansard/39th2nd/h00323p.htm#3548
129)The B.C. Liberals issued permits to a company that wanted to burn creosote soaked railway ties in the city of Kamloops without any consultation. The project was only stopped when countless community members and more than 100 Interior doctors opposed the project. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/02/15/bc-kamloops-g… ( from BC NDP site)
128) Massive cuts to the Parks Budget over the years has resulted in a lack of protection for endangered ecosystems, a lack of park rangers, and unsafe and unsanitary conditions in provincial campgrounds across the province. Many free campgrounds and picnic areas have been de-commissioned over the years
127)committed to NOT introduce internet gaming in 2007, then created and introduced the new BCLC online gambling site this year, again increasing and furthering the incidence of gambling addiction and family strife, since there is no way to police it.
126) raised gambling limits to $ 9,999.00 – a mere $1 below the reportable level to FINTRAC, the agency that monitors and polices money laundering… lol. http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/2010/07/explain-bc-liberals-addiction-to.html
125) raised MSP premiums, while service and wait times increased – and get ready for another MSP premium increase January 1st, 2013. http://www.vancouversun.com/health/premiums+rise+second+straight+year/7987242/story.html
124) Campbell lowered tax rates – the wealthy benefit the most from those rate cuts, while instituting user fees for some public services that were formerly paid out of tax revenue. This resulted in proportionally higher tax increases for the working poor struggling the hardest to make ends meet. http://www.straight.com/article-349819/vancouver/ndp-leader-carole-james-should-acknowledge-impact-personal-tax-cuts-rich
123) Charging user fees at publicly funded hospitals in Vancouver , even to people with insurance, for anyone requiring short term residential care to recover from a medical treatment – coming soon to a hospital near you http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20101022/bc-user-fees-101022/
122)closed 176 schools between 2001 and 2009 . ONE FREAKING HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX SCHOOLS!!!! http://bctf.ca/SchoolClosures.aspx
121) cut funding to the Success by 6 program, an initiative which gave young children a head start through more than 400 projects in 240 communities in British Columbia, including early childhood literacy programs, music and social programs for preschoolers, mentorship programs for single mothers, and pregnancy support . http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/03/24/bc-success-by-six-cancelled.html
120)Cuts to seniors services and care http://www.hsabc.org/news/seniors-victims-long-term-care-and-home-support-cuts
119) Cuts to PAC’s across BC ( Parents Advisory Councils) resulting in parents struggling to make ends meet having to pay more for school related activities http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/09/09/bc-parent-advisory-council-funding-cut.html
118)Cuts to Annual Facility Grants http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2009/08/28/trustees-protest-the-cancellation-of-annual-facility-grant/
117)government continually breaks it’s own class size limit legislation http://bctf.ca/NewsReleases.aspx?id=20508
116) cuts to funding and programs for special needs children in schools as a result of budget cuts.http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/25/bc-vancouver-special-needs.html
115) highest tuition fees ever on record , for university and colleges in BC http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2010/16/c2521.html
114) Liberals show their true feelings about education and the future of our province, and cut $16 million dollars in student loan funds, with no warning, leaving students unable to attend classes, and wreaking havoc on families already financially strapped http://www.straight.com/article-246824/ashley-fehr-gordon-campbell-governments-cuts-devastate-postsecondary-students
113) In addition to the above loan cuts, the BC liberals also cut non-repayable grants to student, also with no warning as detailed in the above link. Some university students found out the hard way when they called Student Aid BC to find out where their grant was, after enrolling and days prior to classes commencing.
112)BC has one of the highest BC Student loan rate in the country.
111) BC post secondary students collectively pay more in fees than government collects in corporate income tax, showing where Liberal priorities really are.
110) cuts to surgeries in BC http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/01/21/bc-oylmpics-cancelled-surgeries-dix.html
109) cuts to diagnostic and rehabilitation services http://www.hsabc.org/search/cuts%20to%20diagnostic%20and%20rehabilitation%20services
108) cuts to community outreach services http://www.nupge.ca/content/3456/bc-cuts-southern-vancouver-island-social-services
107)HORRIFIC cuts to domestic violence programs and violence against women outreach and counselling programs http://www.endingviolence.org/files/uploads/inst_women_programs_going_in_wrong_direction.pdf
106)cuts to many vital medical and health related items previously funded for those on income assistance http://willcocks.blogspot.ca/2009/07/latest-secret-cuts-hurt-those-who-most.html
105) closed CHIMO Achievement Centre, a therapeutic day program for adults with disabilities http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/2010/01/fraser-health-authority-to-kill-amazing.html
104) cuts to income assistance programs http://www.bcfed.com/node/294
103) although the Liberals increased the number of Casinos and access to other forms of gambling, continued cuts have been made to the amount of gaming grants given out to social service agencies, programs, playground and schools – only a small portion were ever restored. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/03/08/bc-community-gaming-grants.html
102) Special needs assessment for children eliminated in the Fraser Health Authority, meaning families must travel to Sunnyhill at Childrens hospital for diagnostic services and care http://www.betterbc.ca/2010/05/cuts-update/
101) Autism: BC’s Early Intensive Behaviour Intervention programs were cut http://www.straight.com/article-302303/vancouver/bc-coalition-protest-gordon-campbells-cuts-saturday-vancouver
100) There were only enough regulated child care spaces for 15% of children under 12 in BC http://www.ccsd.ca/factsheets/family/
99) elimination of conservation officers mean less enforcement and protection over larger areas, putting people and wildlife at risk http://www.nupge.ca/content/3512/bc-parks-hurt-budget-cuts-and-poor-enforcement
98) Cuts to environment ministry saw the Environmental Stewardship division—which includes protection of BC’s 2,000 species at risk, fish and wildlife habitat, and air and water—sliced by almost $4 million http://www.bcauditor.com/pubs/2010/report3/conservation-ecological-integrity-bc-parks-and-protected–
97) unregulated fish farms on the coast of bc and their impact on wild salmon stocks, as well as the increase in fish farm licences the Libs handed out during their tenure. http://thetyee.ca/Views/2005/10/02/WildSalmonWipedOut/
96) the systematic rape of many rivers in BC through Independent Power Projects https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2009/05/01/province-of-bc-criss-crossed-by-independent-power-projects/
95) while the Liberals continually pressed and pushed these projects as safe, clean energy, the truth is that they can, and have extremely horrific impacts on the environment around them, as detailed in this post https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/what-the-liberals-dont-want-you-to-find-out-until-after-election-day-documents-obtained-by-cbc-news-show-run-of-the-river-projects-are-breaking-environmental-regulations/
94) The announcement by Campbell to flood hectares of prime land for yet another dam to generate power the province will sell elsewhere – and Christy Clark continues the push for Site C, admitting it’s needed for her LNG dreams https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/the-worst-is-yet-to-come-rafe-mair/
93) Crown land giveaways and contracts apparently based on political donations https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/brookfield-asset-management-gordon-campbell-and-british-columbias-best-assets/
92) clearing ALR land for development, over and over http://www.straight.com/pressure-builds-agricultural-land-reserve
91) The Liberals admitted that during the last election they suppressed information showing the number of people in BC forced to apply for welfare had increased by 10,000. The information was released shortly after the election http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/05/22/bc-welfare-cases-up.html
90) Gordon Campbell claimed he was not aware of how bad the financial outlook of the province was prior to the election, despite the world financial crash that was well underway. ( sound familiar?)
89)The public is kept in the dark as John Les, the province’s top cop, is under police investigation for almost a year http://willcocks.blogspot.com/2009/09/creeping-pace-of-john-les-investigation.html
88) The “coincidental” and repeated occurrence of development and real estate companies who donate large $$ to the Liberal party of BC, getting lucrative land deals and approvals across the province http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/BC-Politics/2009/05/08/Builders-real-estate-firms-gave-big-to-BC-Liberals/
87) The ” coincidental” and repeated occurence of other corporations( mining,gas, oil and independent power producers) who donate large $$ to the Liberal party of BC getting lucrative contracts, deal and approvals across the province: https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/the-kind-of-corruption-the-media-talk-about-the-kind-the-supreme-court-was-concerned-about-involves-the-putative-sale-of-votes-in-exchange-for-campaign-contributions-james-l-buckley/
86) In February 2008, the public learned that Campbell’s TransLink board voted themselves a 500 percent pay raise. Only a few weeks later, the premier’s BC Ferries directors received an increase of up to 60 percent — on April 1, 2008 – the same day ferry fares were increased for British Columbians.
Compare this with the fact that in 2008, more than 50,000 British Columbians worked for minimum wage or less http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/02/08/bc-translink.html
85) The very large and expensive mess that is known as BC ferries http://thetyee.ca/News/2009/11/07/BloatedFerries/
84) The very large and expensive mess that was known as the BC Transmission corporation http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/05/03/LiberalsOweApology/
83) The very large and again, expensive mess known as BC Hydro , which is on the path to financial ruin http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/08/23/BCHydroPathToRuin/ and another opinion http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_thompson_nicola/clearwatertimes/opinion/101681738.html
81) Despite those ” tough economic times “Campbell decided to appoint a larger, expanded cabinet, costing us all more ( for quite a bit less, in my opinion) http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/BC-Politics/2009/06/10/CampbellCabinet/
80) The over-inflated, expensive and relatively useless Public Affairs Bureau( otherwise known as internet trolls who monitor,watch and read everything written anywhere about Campbell and his Liberal co-horts) http://bctrialofbasi-virk.blogspot.com/2009/04/about-that-public-affairs-bureau-this.html
79) ” Die Entscheidung von Campbell, deutsche Scheißfährschiffe zu kaufen “, or for those of you who do not speak German, ” Campbell’s decision to buy crappy german ferries ” http://thetyee.ca/News/2008/12/15/NoisyFerry/
78). Choosing to contract out the storage, handling and administration of our personal medical records to an American company, which leaves personal information potentially open to dubious uses with American law enforcement https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/bc-citizens-assessment-of-what-the-campbell-government-has-done-to-british-columbia-so-far/
77) Campbell failed to hold regular legislature sessions- twice – http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/09/10/bc-fall-legislative-session-cancelled.html
76) Christy Clark has spent so little time in the legislature,she needs a map to find her way around the building when she does show up. Only 19 days in session in one calendar year! http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/13/the-absentee-b-c-legislature/
75) Campbells decision to sign TILMA – the Trade, Investment, and Labour Mobility Agreement http://thetyee.ca/Views/2009/05/07/TILMA/
74) Sold off BC Gas, now known as Terasen
73)Passed Bill 20, which prevents local municipal veto of Run of the River projects http://www.pej.org/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4659&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
72) Exporting raw logs to China and elsewhere ( a direct contradiction to a campaign promise he made prior to first being elected back in 20o1) all while closing BC mills who could process wood here. http://www.peoplesvoice.ca/articleprint21/02)_BC’S_FOREST_JOBS_CRISIS.html http://store.wildernesscommittee.org/campaigns/communities/campaigns/communities/readers/raw_logs/
71) Vancouver convention centre completely ridiculous cost overruns , which technically might make it the largest screw-up in the history of BC – that is, until the final and true bill for the new Port Mann bridge comes in http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/campbells-convention-centre-overruns-largest-boondoggle-bc-history
70) Sea to sky highway over-runs – with no toll to cover costs . Campbell told press repeatedly at photo ops that the cost of the highway would be $800 million, yet the final cost was nearly$2 billion + http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/campbell-liberals-p3s-not-time-not-budget
69)A report in 2007 stated that the province could have saved the taxpayer over $ 220 million by financing it themselves, because borrowing costs were underestimated by Partnerships BC, and the government always – ALWAYS- gets a better finance rate than other entities. http://dcnonl.com/article/id20954/profservices
68) Failed P3- Port Mann Bridge debacle – ONGOING with the ice bomb incident last winter and with no true inkling of how much it will cost because it has yet to be completed – not to mention Coquitlam and Burnaby residents get a hell of a lot of road/highway improvements, yet don’t bear the brunt of paying tolls like everyone south of the Fraser does…. https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/the-truth-will-set-you-free-but-first-it-will-piss-you-off/ and of course the must read https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/laila-yuile-says-time-to-start-those-tolls-on-the-sea-to-sky-highway/
67) Failure to enforce what faulty lobbyist legislation there was – and still is http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=c268578c-1bba-4e0a-b5e2-de25a87e9040
66) Failure to protect renters in BC with appropriate “Renoviction” legislation http://rentersatrisk.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/news-more-renovictions-what-next-for-renters/
67) Bill 29, which was and still is, a constant source of tension and stress for seniors and health care workers http://www.bcfed.com/issues/Bill_29
66)The tragically expensive new roof on BC Place stadium, which Campbell has repeatedly claimed is ” on time and on budget” ( at a cost that some say, could have given us an entire new facility) Originally announced at $365 million BEFORE the election, it went to $458 million after the election, but then we found out it was actually $ 563 million.. unless you include the cost of Empire Stadiums upgrade of $ 14 million… which gives us a grand total of $ 577 million- only $208 million over the first announced budget ( gotta love that Liberal accounting, eh? ) http://www.burnabynow.com/news/Costs+balloon+Place+roof/3385325/story.html
65) The horrible fate of Fish Lake – a pristine lake in the Chilcotin that will be killed if Tasko mines gets their way http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/the-political-storm-watch-on-fish-lake/article1703514/
64) More cuts to seniors beds in residential care, than have been created, leave seniors and their families at risk and great worry http://www.straight.com/article-218182/ndp-leader-carole-james-whacks-gordon-campbell-seniors-care
65) Homelessness in BC has risen over 300% during Liberals time in power
64) As of March 2008, there were 12,050 people on B.C. Housing’s wait list for subsidized housing. Somehow we don’t have the ability to address these issues, but we seem to have found all that money for the Olympics, a new roof for BC Place, and a host of other expenditures authorized by Campbell and the Liberals.
63) Social housing projects that the Liberals announced would be fast tracked and completed by the Olympics, were not, and no word where they are at now http://www.campbellcuts.com/social_housing_funding_cuts.html
62) severe mental health and addiction cuts left many on the streets and without care- this continues through 2013 with no plan to address the challenges of the most vulnerable http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/bc-liberal-mental-health-and-addiction-cuts-will-hurt-communities
61)Ken Dobell. And there are many more just like him among the BC Liberals crew of supporters/corporate friends. http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/2008/03/tieleman-ken-dobell-is-not-crook-he-is.html
59) Neglecting to protect public assets and interests from foreign takeover.
58) Kevin Falcon…. ugh. Screwed up transportation, did not do well in health and jumped ship when Christy Clark came on board. Responsible for contracts on Port Mann, Sea to Sky, William R Bennett Bridge etc.. all which are making foreign corps and investment funds rich off of taxypayers dollars. Read through https://lailayuile.com/best-of/ for many examples.
57)School budgets are so tight as a result of being underfunded, that our children are required to bring boxes of kleenex as part of their school supply list!
56) Campbell never answered the 70 questions Krog asked him about the sale of BC Rail. http://www.straight.com/article-194779/gordon-campbells-privatization-bc-rail-leonard-krogs-70-questions
55) Campbell and his government continued to demonstrate a lack of transparency, and accountability, and seemed to specialize in secrecy, as repeatedly shown by their refusal to initiate public inquiries into a number of their activities, including the sale of BC rail.
54) For years, our minimum wage was the lowest in Canada, and the Campbell Liberals introduced a training wage for young and new workers at$6.00 an hour ! They justified this move because ” we have other programs to offset any issues related to lower wages”. While Clark removed the training wage and raised minimum wage, the impact on poverty in the province still shows. http://www.timescolonist.com/business/minimum+wage+lowest+Canada+consider+increase+groups/3480843/story.html
53) The BC Liberals cut student aid, while tuition rates here in BC remain at an all time high- making it hard for domestic students to obtain a post secondary degree. It turns out that the Liberals have been promoting our universities and colleges to overseas students, leaving our own BC students in the cold. http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2010ALMD0057-001287.pdf
52) The highly contentious and suspect South Fraser Perimeter Road – yet another project in Campbells infamous Gateway program, that runs through farmland, skirts the unique and precious Burns Bog, and has taken more than a few peoples home, AND has already been downgraded before it is even built https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/south-fraser-perimeter-road-downgrades-confirmed-by-news-1130-reporter-dave-white/ and https://lailayuile.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/south-fraser-perimeter-road-moves-ahead-as-revised-fraser-transportation-group-signs-agreement-with-ministry-of-transportation/
51) The sale of BC Rail, and everything related that has happened before- and since http://bctrialofbasi-virk.blogspot.com/
50) The pay-off of Basi and Virk to plead guilty to some charges in the trial – but not the ones relating to the sale of BC Rail http://therealstory.ca/2010-10-20/bc-politics/bc-rail-6-million-and-a-non-disclosure-deal-suppresses-evidence
49)And the highly suspect relationship between someone who assisted in authorizing the deal- and one of the key witnesses about to appear http://therealstory.ca/2010-10-21/bc-liberals/can-you-say-conflict
48) The HST and all the lies that surrounded the introduction of it to the people of BC – http://fighthst.com/
47) Child poverty rates the highest in the country – 7 years in a row – Shame, shame, shame. Doesn’t Campbell know the children really are our future ? http://www.firstcallbc.org/pdfs/currentissues/press%20release08stats.pdf
46) The closure of St. Marys Hospital, yet another broken BC Liberal health promise http://billtieleman.blogspot.ca/2008/03/bc-hospitals-shut-down-in-code-orange.html
45) BC Liberals appointed Kevin Falcon minister of Deregulation… and de-regulate he did.. sometimes with disasterous results http://optometrists.bc.ca/upload/documents/Important_New_Regulations/MINISTER_REBUTTAL_public_website.pdf
44) Hidden tolls paid by everyone in BC, on the Sea to Sky highway, disguised as ” Vehicle usage Payments” https://lailayuile.com/2010/10/31/shadow-tolls-on-sea-to-sly-highway-the-william-r-bennett-bridgeand-the-bc-rail-connection/ AND scroll down on this link to the full series https://lailayuile.com/best-of/
43) Gutting of Freedom of Information laws in BC http://www.straight.com/news/micheal-vonn-bc-government-job-posting-exposes-crisis-democracy Under Christy Clark, allegedly an open government, requests are now posted online, which inhibits many people from requesting. However,often newsworthy FOI requests are not posted.
42) Lifted moratorium on grizzly bear hunts http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2005/04/29/bc_grizzly-ndp20050429.html
41) Introduced permits for resorts in public parks http://islandnature.ca/2011/04/a-sad-day-for-strathcona-provincial-park/
40)Closure of domestic violence clinic at VGH http://billtieleman.blogspot.ca/2010/08/closure-of-vancouver-general-hospital.html leaving vulnerable women alone and at risk.
39)Refusal of Translink or Stephanie Cadieux to stand up and intervene on behalf of seriously ill and disabled passengers homebound by HandiDart strike http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=9ca74660-4409-47e1-8e1f-b50598ab906c
38)Ongoing school wars which have continued from Campbell to Clark http://thetyee.ca/Views/2005/10/13/Newschoolwar/
37)Gutted workers rights, undermined labour laws http://www.telusplanet.net/public/afl/LabourNews/june02-07.html
36)The introduction of the Carbon Tax ( still don’t like it, punitive to northern residents) and the Pacific Carbon trust, that has provided a fabulous income to friends of the BC Liberals https://lailayuile.com/2013/03/27/auditor-generals-long-awaited-report-on-pacific-carbon-trust-finally-released-and-surprise-surprise-there-are-big-problems-all-around/
35)Amalgamated Crisis lines on Vancouver island… and didn’t change the signs in places youth in crisis can find them, including those students at University of Victoria http://martlet.ca/2013/03/uvic-emergency-contacts-and-student-services-signs-outdated/
34)Cuts to charitable organizations from gambling revenue in the province… massive cuts were given to charities in the province receiving gambling revenues in 2008/2009 – some completely cut, some by 50%… even though gaming revenues have increased. Some of those cuts were finally restored in 2012, but not before years of catastrophic, direct and trickle down impacts were felt across the province. http://stopbcartscuts.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/bcacg-bc-auditor-general-investigate-bc-liberals-gaming-cuts-charities/
33) Continual mismanagement of the Forests and related forestry industries in this province http://www.policynote.ca/pat-bells-youtube-foray-sewing-seeds-of-misinformation/
32)Gutted the apprenticeship system in BC, laid off apprenticeship counselors and replaced them with a 1-800 number http://pacificgazette.blogspot.ca/2012/12/we-are-shockedshocked-we-tell-you.html ( Hey Christy, you need skilled labour to fill jobs in BC)
31)The entire Accenture/Bc Hydro ongoing debacle… http://thetyee.ca/News/2010/03/22/Finavera/
30)The loss of BC Jobs to an Ontario call centre to reserve your camping spot !!! http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GGt2U0AZzxcJ:www.bcndpcaucus.ca/en/bc_liberals_contract_out_bc_parks_reservation_service_to_ontario+bc+gov+contracts+out+park+reservation+service&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca
29)Tsawwassen power lines debacle http://thecanadian.org/item/39-damien-power-lines
28) BC liberals and Christy Clark have all complained about teachers pay demands… yet continually give themselves and public entities like Hydro, Bc Ferries etc, wage increases with benefits.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/05/03/bc-ministerial-aide-salary-increases.html
27)Christ Clark handled the highly irregular investigation into the Ken Boessenkool scandal very poorly,even taking him on a trip to China following serious allegations, and concluded the entire scandal without leaving any paper trail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/probe-into-boessenkool-affair-oddly-lacking-a-paper-trail/article4900224/
26) The long and storied relationship between the BC Liberals, SNC Lavalin that continued with Christy Clark bringing on Gwyn Morgan as her personal advisor during her transition https://lailayuile.com/2013/02/11/friends-helping-friends-the-story-of-how-the-bc-liberal-snclavalin-connection-persists-with-christy-clark/
25) Cost over-runs with BC Place http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/01/14/NDP-BC-Place-Probe/
24)Another longstanding friendly relationship with a US company dogged by scandals https://lailayuile.com/2009/10/09/laila-yuile-says-time-to-start-those-tolls-on-the-sea-to-sky-highway/
23) One word: PAVCO, who hates the truth so much they want to stop investigative journalist Bob Mackin from getting any from them http://2010goldrush.blogspot.ca/2013/02/pavco-seeks-to-blacklist-inconvenient.html
22) Ethnicgate : http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/blogs/lett/195318072.html
21) On a related topic, the overpriced Time of India Awards Show, billed as being a strategic move to open BC to Indian investment and business opportunities.. but no one in India watched and it turns out its just a huge advertising plunder to attempt and buy more votes from the Indo community in BC : http://2010goldrush.blogspot.ca/2013/04/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-toifa.html
20) Christy’s unprofessional conversations and provocative past have made a mockery of the office of the premier : https://lailayuile.com/2012/12/27/how-christy-clark-set-the-standard-for-vulgar-questions-and-innuendo-a-rebuttal-to-david-obee/
18) While claiming she has government spending under control, she spent more on government credit cards than Campbell in the same time period https://lailayuile.com/2012/07/30/show-me-the-money-seehow-what-little-we-know-of-the-legislature-spends-its-money-plus-premiers-office-spends-double-what-campbells-crew-did-in-his-last-year/
16) Bringing the still controversial Smart Meters to British Columbia.. when in other locales, people have a choice, and in others, they haven’t worked well http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/01/30/bc-smart-meter.html
15) Failed Jobs Plan, worst yet, Clark continues to spout inaccurate numbers and expects voters to believe her – http://blogs.canoe.ca/davidakin/politics/no-other-way-to-say-it-the-bc-government-is-fudging-its-job-creation-record/
14) Fudged NDP spending numbers in the leaders debate and on the BC Liberals Spend o Meter : http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/26/bc-reality-check-ndp-spending.html She can’t add? And she wants to run our province? Should have stayed in university instead of dropping out,as per this CBC report http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bcvotes2013/story/2013/04/02/bc-leader-profiles-christy-clark.html
13) The BC Liberals have continually refused to adhere to Generally Accepted Accounting Principle, instead manipulating the provincial books to make the financial picture of the province look better than it really is https://lailayuile.com/2013/01/06/british-columbians-deserve-easy-to-understand-financial-reportingwith-a-clean-opinion-from-their-government-auditor-general-john-doyle/
12) The BC liberal government continually stonewalled their own Auditor Generals attempts to find the truth behind the $6million Basi- Virk payment. http://billtieleman.blogspot.ca/2012/09/basi-virk-stonewalling-auditor-generals.html
11) Clark keeps insisting – and repeating on air – that Moodys rating agency verified her budget was balanced… when in reality, they did not and that isn’t even what they do. Hasn’t stopped her from repeating it over and over again… http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/26/bc-reality-check-ndp-spending.html
10) BC Liberals real debt load is far more than claimed: https://lailayuile.com/2013/04/22/bc-liberal-legacy-a-huge-debt-burden-aka-christy-clark-really-has-no-clue-what-she-is-talking-about/
9) Christy Clark, aided and abetted by the Liberal party and her supporters, has mislead, mis-informed and made up completely false statements which have been proven wrong in many media outlets http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/04/23/brian-hutchinson-b-c-premier-christy-clarks-baffling-campaign-strategy-is-to-misinform-mislead-and-make-up-stuff/
8) Jobs Plan success? Not true. Clark has been completely inaccurate in telling the truth numbers, as per a CBC Reality check. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/16/bc-reality-check-jobs-plan.html
7) That same Christy Clark spent $15million taxpayers dollars on partisan government ads on the very unsuccessful BC Jobs Plan….http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2012/11/20/BC-Liberals-Ads/ …. all while claiming she controlled government spending. http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-party-leaders-spar-over-pipelines-balanced-budgets-in-radio-debate/article11578970/?service=mobile
6) While claiming to have reigned in government spending, under Christy Clarks leadership, the BC Liberals added $ 11 Billion dollars to the provincial debt and obligations. http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/04/22/highs-of-liquified-natural-gas-a-fiscal-downer
5) While thousands of British Columbians were calling for provincial opposition and review to the Canada China FIPA, Christy Clark was happily endorsing the proposition https://lailayuile.com/2012/10/26/i-very-much-look-forward-to-the-ratification-and-implementation-of-the-canada-china-fipa-unelected-premier-christy-clark-during-the-canada-china-investment-summit/
4) Those horrible 90’s when thousands and thousands of people left BC for work under the last NDP government? Not true. Clark and the BC Liberal again tried to deceive voters with inaccurate numbers and claims, as per a CBC Reality Check http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bcvotes2013/story/2013/04/19/bc-reality-check-outmigration.html
3) BC’s credit rating tanked under the NDP ? More spin from Clark and the BC Liberals. Thanks again to CBC Reality Check http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/12/bc-reality-check-credit-rating.html
2) Christy Clark’s LNG plan for the future of BC? Just rainbows,glitter and unicorns, as shown by CBC Reality Check http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/26/bc-reality-check-lng.html
And the number 1 reason the BC Liberals must go?
The BC liberal party actually voted Christy Clark as their leader… and look what’s happened since.
232 Comments on 100 + reasons the BC Liberals must go.
22 Trackbacks / Pingbacks
- 100 reasons Gordon Campbell must go. « Solange's Favorite Facebook Posts by Friends
- The BCLiberals Must Stay! « Andy Shen
- The Premier’s TV Address: It ain’t no fresh start. | The Real Story
- Go Gordon Go | Aim High Salmon Arm
- 100 Reasons | rants and observations
- British Columbia – Attack on Democracy | The "JLS" Report
- Laila Yuile – Media | WomenForPlanetEarth.org
- On lailayule, we are many! « Canadianbud
- My response to Gordon Wilson’s endorsement of Christy Clark? The updated list of 100+ reasons the BC Liberals need to go | No Strings Attached : Laila Yuile on politics and life in B.C.
- 100+Reasons the BC Liberals Must Go - Pitt Meadows Today
- Monday Memo – May 6, 2013 | Surrey Teachers Association
- 100+ Reasons The BC Liberals Must Go - Langley Today
- BC Election 2013 - Page 13 - Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net
- B.C. Journal: Liberals hold telephone town hall to connect supporters to leader Clark – NPI Advocate
- BC Jobs Plan: 5,300 Jobs Lost in October, Countless Lost Overall
- VANCOUVER LEXICON: Fast Ferries : Scout Magazine
- VANCOUVER LEXICON | Lieberals : Scout Magazine
- Top 9 Scandals Of Christy Clark, BC Liberal Party « Cupe 1767
- Bcas Ambulance Web Page Creation | Web Creation Trends
- There are some investments you can’t afford not to make…so why aren’t our governments doing so? | No Strings Attached : Laila Yuile on politics and life in B.C.
- 2015 ends with a bang… so it’s time for the Top ten posts of 2015, from LailaYuile.com | No Strings Attached : Laila Yuile on politics and life in B.C.
- Check her record before you spin us a new one | Evolving Teaching