My reporting and investigations into site C began on New Years Eve 2015, when a resident of the Peace River Valley sent me a photo of the eviction notice BC Hydro had posted to the Shelter at Rocky Mountain Fort camp. I immediately posted it to social media in an effort to bring public attention to the situation and realised that although I had written of Site C in passing over the years prior, how wrong it was and how far it had come, had completely escaped my attention.
Thus began my personal quest to raise attention to the issue, and halt the dam. The more I learned, the more apparent it was this dam should never been have even considered, let alone built in this area of the valley. It violates Treaty rights, destroys unique habitats and natural formations,farmland, homes,and will flood the last remaining area of a designated BC Heritage river forever. And…we don’t need it.
Since then,I spent years trying to make up for not paying attention when it was needed the most. I started every day by tweeting in support of the Treaty 8 campers and Peace Valley residents/business owners who remained on site, despite having been served with a civil suit initiated by BC Hydro. You can read that Notice of Claim here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/296120436/Notice-of-Civil-Claim-against-Site-C-protest-camp
I reported on infractions and violations during construction, reported the tension cracks and ongoing slides on the north slope, accidents, and documented with aerial photos, what BC Hydro refused to show the public. Every time they would initially deny the reports only to be forced to admit it to the press.
I still stand in support of those who held the line at Rocky Mountain Fort Camp,and all the residents of the Peace river who oppose this dam.
Both the former premier and duly elected Liberal MLA’s failed in their inherent duty to act in the best interests of British Columbian taxpayers by refusing every request by not only voters, but also municipalities and organizations across BC to put the project before the BC Utilities Commission.
In addition,by commencing preliminary site preparation despite several outstanding lawsuits by local First Nations against Site C, the province failed in its duty to consult and honour Treaty 8 and demonstrated a complete lack of regard for due process.
Unfortunately, a new government led by Premier John Horgan, used the same sunk cost fallacy argument that Newfoundland-Labrador premier Dwight Ball did to continue Muskrat Falls, to continue Site C. Documents appear to show however, that decision was actually made prior to the BCUC report.
In 2017, Premier John Horgan approved the continuation of the Site C dam. An independent safety review was not ordered to be part of the limited review the BCUC was instructed to perform.
In 2020, it was revealed that the same geo-technical issues that have plagued north bank construction and stability, were now appearing on the south bank.
Premier Horgan ordered an independent review, but revealed in January 2021, that two outside experts were being brought in to assess BC Hydro’s proposed fix and whether it could be done safely or not…something Site C critics and opponents have been asking for since the 2017 election. This is where it stand as of January 18th, 2021. We await the release of both reports and a decision to move forward or not, however construction continues at this time.
This is the record of everything I’ve written about Site C,and how successive governments circumvented process and due diligence…and failed British Columbians. I’ll also post links to other critical reads that are pertinent, in descending order from oldest to newest.
- August 2015: BC Hydro says halting Site C would cost taxpayers $500 million dollars – I say not building it at all will save us over $8 billion instead. https://lailayuile.com/2015/08/20/bc-hydro-says-halting-site-c-would-cost-taxpayers-500-million-not-building-it-at-all-will-save-us-over-8-billion-dollars/
- September 2015: Site C to be debated in the legislature as Liberals try to pin down position from the NDP : https://lailayuile.com/2015/09/29/site-c-to-be-debated-in-bc-legislature-tomorrowrally-against-the-project-to-be-held-outside/
- November 2015: The hypocrisy of BC Hydro and the Liberals: WAC Bennett Dam must go for review by BCUC for long overdue repairs to dam, while government refuses to allow same for Site C: https://lailayuile.com/2015/11/30/a-river-runs-through-it-the-hypocrisy-that-is/
- Jan 2, 2016 – Where it all began: BC Hydro issues eviction notice under cover of New Years Eve https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/02/bc-hydro-issues-rocky-mountain-fort-campers-at-site-c-a-24-hour-eviction-notice-on-new-years-eve/
- Jan 4,2016 – A litmus test for ‘Real Change’ : where is Justin Trudeau on Site C? Why isn’t new federal government investigating why Harper invoked cabinet secrecy on Site C decison? https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/04/the-litmus-test-for-real-change-where-is-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-on-sitec/
- Jan 6, 2016 – ( photos of demonstration here) Separate demonstration at Site C BC Hydro gates results in three arrests, including Arthur Hadland- long time former Peace River politician https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/06/longtime-peace-river-politician-and-site-c-opponent-arthur-hadland-arrested-at-site-c-demonstration-today
- Jan 7, 2017 – UBCIC issues press release one day after Treaty 8 does, asking BC Hydro to stand down. https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/07/first-nations-prepare-for-arrest-to-stop-site-c-dam-ask-prime-minister-to-suspend-federal-approval/
- Jan 8,2016 – Cutting through the spin of Energy Minister Bill Bennetts very misleading statement on Global BC News – How BC government deliberately circumvented regulatory process on Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/08/cutting-through-the-spin-of-energy-minister-bill-bennetts-statements-on-global-bc-news/
- Jan 11,2016 – Powerful and compelling video from Treaty 8 elder at Rocky Mountain Fort, but is anyone listening to his plea? https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/11/powerful-and-compelling-words-from-treaty-8-elders-at-rocky-mountain-fort-campbut-is-anyone-in-government-listening/
- Jan 14, 2016 – How transparency and accountability were lost at both provincial and federal levels on Site C project: The story of how BC Hydro borrows money to pay yearly dividends to the BC government, and how the Harper cabinet kept the reasons for approving the Environmental Assessment Certificate on Site C, a secret. https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/14/deception-and-privileged-secrets-are-common-facets-of-politics-transparency-accountability-on-site-c-lost-at-both-provincial-federal-levels/
- Jan 18, 2016 – Treaty 8 stewards of the land call on provincial and federal governments to meet, and act on three point plan https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/18/treaty-8-stewards-of-the-land-issue-3-point-plan-for-site-c-call-on-provincial-and-federal-governments-to-act/
- Jan 2, 2016 – May the force of No be with you- my response to Premier Christy Clarks comments on the forces of No who want to stop everything in BC. https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/27/may-the-force-of-no-be-with-you/
- Feb 2, 2016 – Premier Christy Clark vows to get Site C past the point of no return at former premiers memorial. https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/02/personal-agenda-trumps-all-as-clark-vows-to-get-site-c-past-the-point-of-no-return-during-memorial/
- Feb 8, 2016 – Why the Muskrat Falls dam fiasco in Newfoundland should provide more reason than ever for Premier Clark to send Site C to an independent review by the BC Utilities Commission. https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/08/muskrat-falls-fiasco-provides-example-for-british-columbians-of-potential-future-of-site-c-why-premier-clark-must-send-project-to-bc-utilities-commission-independent-review/
- Feb 10,2016 – New photos raise big questions about Site C compliance with provincial and federal permits. https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/10/more-questions-raised-about-site-c-construction-compliance-with-provincial-and-federal-fisherieswater-regulations/
- May 4,2016 – The road to power is paved with hypocrisy and casualties https://lailayuile.com/2016/05/04/the-road-to-power-is-paved-with-hypocrisy-and-casualties-frank-underwoodhouse-of-cards/
- May 10,2016 – Monitoring the monitors https://lailayuile.com/2016/05/10/monitoring-the-monitors/
- May 28, 2016 – He did not care in which direction he was driving so long as he was in the drivers seat: https://lailayuile.com/2016/05/28/he-did-not-care-in-which-direction-the-car-was-travelling-so-long-as-he-remained-in-the-drivers-seat-lord-beaverbrook/
- June 10,2016 – Toxic landslides polluting Peace River raise alarms about Fracking near Site C https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/10/toxic-landslides-polluting-peace-river-raise-alarms-about-fracking-site-c/
- June 20, 2016 – Disturbing the Peace, the story of the Site C dam: https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/20/disturbing-the-peace-the-story-of-the-site-c-dam/
- June 24, 2016 – Shocking admission from Nalcor ceo serves as chilling warning to BC government on Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/24/shocking-admission-from-nalcor-energy-ceo-serves-as-chilling-warning-to-bc-government-that-exempted-site-c-project-from-independent-review-of-bcuc/
- June 27, 2016 – Two new warnings issued to BC Hydro…again. https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/27/two-new-warnings-issued-to-bc-hydro-on-site-c-construction-again/
- July 6, 2016 – Site C quarterly report shows costs to date already more than expected: https://lailayuile.com/2016/07/06/site-c-quarterly-public-update-shows-project-already-more-than-expected-milestones-missed/
- July 8, 2016 – Politicians are people who learn not to blink when they lie: https://lailayuile.com/2016/07/08/politicians-are-people-who-learn-not-to-blink-when-they-lie-%E2%80%95-robert-black/
- July 21, 2016 – Site C aerial photos show a mess of dikes, water and slides https://lailayuile.com/2016/07/21/site-c-aerial-photos-show-mess-of-dikeswater-and-slides/
- Aug 8 2016 – It’s hard being right when the wrong has already been done: https://lailayuile.com/2016/08/08/its-hard-being-right-when-the-wrong-has-already-been-done/
- Sept 2, 2016 – New Site C photos show continued slide mitigation on the North slope https://lailayuile.com/2016/09/21/new-site-c-photos-show-continued-mitigation-efforts-on-slide-prone-north-slope-construction/
- Oct 19, 2016 – Sometimes you just have to sit down and write: https://lailayuile.com/2016/10/19/sometimes-you-just-have-to-sit-down-and-write/
- Oct 23, 2016 – If there is any saving grace to Muskrat Falls, let it be the light it shines on Premier Clarks vow to get Site C past the point of no return: https://lailayuile.com/2016/10/23/if-there-is-any-saving-grace-to-muskrat-falls-let-it-be-the-light-it-shines-on-premier-clarks-vow-to-get-site-c-past-the-point-of-no-return/
- Nov 1, 2016 – I have a stake in the Peace… do you? https://lailayuile.com/2016/11/01/i-have-a-stake-in-the-peace-do-you/
- Nov 10, 2016 – New photos show new cracks and landslide yet again on the north slope of Site C. How much are they costing us and how long before someone gets hurt?: https://lailayuile.com/2016/11/10/new-photos-show-new-cracks-and-landslide-yet-again-on-the-north-slope-of-site-c-how-much-are-they-costing-us-and-how-long-before-someone-gets-hurt/
- Dec 8, 2016 – Site C panning out to make Fast Ferries look like pocket change: https://lailayuile.com/2016/12/08/site-c-panning-out-to-make-fast-ferries-look-like-pocket-change/
- Jan 5, 2017 – Site C: the 9 billion dollar boondoggle complete with grassroots oversight: https://lailayuile.com/2017/01/05/site-c-the-9-billion-dollar-boondoggle-complete-with-grassroots-oversight/
- March 16, 2017 – Polling questions raise eyebrows on Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2017/03/16/polling-questions-offer-glimpse-into-bc-election-2017-issues-and-raise-eyebrows-on-future-of-site-c/
- April 19, 2017 – Site C has become uneconomic and should be suspended: https://lailayuile.com/2017/04/19/bc-election-2017-site-c-dam-project-has-become-uneconomic-and-should-be-suspended/
- Sept 21,2017 – Site c: Trust the process hold the vision: https://lailayuile.com/2017/09/21/site-c-hold-the-vision-trust-the-process/
- Nov 13, 2017 – Site C: The billion dollar question with only one right answer : https://lailayuile.com/2017/11/13/the-billion-dollar-question-with-only-one-right-answer/
- July 19, 2018 – New documents offer chilling contradiction- to Horgan and Mungall- Why the NDP must stop Site C now: https://lailayuile.com/2018/07/19/new-documents-expert-testimony-report-offer-chilling-contradiction-to-horgan-mungall-why-the-ndp-must-halt-site-c-now-force-hydro-to-come-clean/
- July 22, 2018 The impact of Site C: if what’s going on up here, would happen down there they would shut it down in aheartbeat: https://lailayuile.com/2018/07/22/if-whats-going-on-up-herewould-happen-down-there-they-would-shut-it-down-in-a-heartbeat-thered-be-no-messing-chief-roland-willson-on-impact-of-site-c/
- Aug 30, 2018 – Next stop, Site C: https://lailayuile.com/2018/08/30/next-stop-site-c/
- Sept 5, 2018 – Guest Post: Journey to the sacrifice zone of Site C: https://lailayuile.com/2018/09/05/guest-post-journey-to-the-sacrifice-zone-of-site-c/
- Oct 1, 2018 – If the land falls down around Site C, does anyone in Victoria hear? https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/01/if-the-land-falls-down-around-site-c-does-anyone-in-victoria-hear/
- Oct 9, 2018 – Part 2: If the land falls down around site c, does anyone in Victoria hear? https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/09/part-ii-if-the-land-falls-down-around-site-c-does-anyone-in-victoria-hear/
- Oct 2, 2018: Part III, Old Fort Slide- more geotech concerns for Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/12/part-iii-old-fort-slide-as-evacuation-alerts-orders-continuemore-questions-for-site-c-geotechnical-concerns/
- July 2nd, 2019: An update on Site C and BC LNG: When climate change reveals the NDPs vision was nothing but a mirage: https://lailayuile.com/2019/07/02/an-update-on-site-c-bc-lng-when-climate-change-reveals-the-bc-ndp-vision-was-nothing-but-a-mirage/
- July 17th, 2019: New erosion gully appears on problematic north slope of site C near diversion tunnels: https://lailayuile.com/2019/07/17/new-erosion-gully-appears-on-problematic-north-slope-of-site-c-near-diversion-tunnels/
- July 23rd, 2019: More details from new pics of North Bank: https://lailayuile.com/2019/07/23/more-details-from-new-pics-on-north-bank/
- July 25th, 2019: Placement of Site C work camp defines ‘Calculated Risk’: https://lailayuile.com/2019/07/25/placement-of-site-c-work-camp-defines-the-term-calculated-risk/
- September 12th, 2019: Rainy day thoughts from the island, and new photos from Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2019/09/12/rainy-day-frpstuthoughts-from-the-island/
- January 17th, 2020 : A Frosty Friday Message https://lailayuile.com/2020/01/17/a-frosty-friday-message/
- January 29th, 2020 : LNG, Lobbyists and policy: Why big money is still a very big problem in BC politics https://lailayuile.com/2020/01/29/lng-lobbyists-policy-why-big-money-is-still-a-very-big-problem-in-bc-politics/
- August 6th, 2020 : BC Hydro & NDP use Covid delays to cover for the real story of Site C progress report : No foundation stability, No plan in sight to fix it, No final project cost & No in service date https://lailayuile.com/2020/08/06/bc-hydro-ndp-use-covid-delays-to-cover-for-the-real-story-of-site-c-progress-report-no-foundation-no-plan-in-sight-to-fix-it-no-final-project-cost-and-no-in-service-date/
- September 3rd, 2020 : A BC Election during the pandemic? Sure why not – they keep building a dam with no foundation too https://lailayuile.com/2020/09/03/a-bc-election-during-the-pandemic-sure-why-not-they-keep-building-a-dam-with-no-foundation-too/
- October 3rd, 2020 : Why is the BC NDP about to divert the Peace River when they dont know if it can be fixed or how much it will all cost. https://lailayuile.com/2020/10/03/why-is-the-bc-ndp-about-to-divert-the-peace-river-when-they-dont-even-know-if-it-can-be-fixed-or-how-much-it-will-cost/
- October 21st, 2020 : FOI documents reveal extensive issues at Site C…3 days before the election https://lailayuile.com/2020/09/03/a-bc-election-during-the-pandemic-sure-why-not-they-keep-building-a-dam-with-no-foundation-too/
- December 1st, 2020 : What you need to see in BC today https://lailayuile.com/2020/12/01/what-you-need-to-see-in-bc-today/
- January 4th, 2021 : So much at risk if Site C continues, yet I still don’t think John Horgan has the courage to stop it https://lailayuile.com/2021/01/04/so-much-at-risk-if-site-c-continues-yet-i-still-dont-think-john-horgan-has-the-courage-to-stop-it/
- January 15th, 2021 : Update on Site C: Milburn report unable to address safety issues, outside experts brought in https://lailayuile.com/2021/01/15/update-on-site-c-milburn-report-unable-to-address-safety-issues-outside-experts-called-in/
~From 24 Hours Vancouver, The Duel~
- December 2014: Site C case hasn’t been made : http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/12/21/site-c-case-hasnt-been-made
- May 2014: BC Hydro hasn’t made convincing case for pushing costly dam onto taxpayers: http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/05/11/bc-hydro-hasnt-made-a-convincing-case-for-pushing-costly-dam-onto-taxpayers
Related stories : Old Fort Slide ( Downstream from Site C, slides occurred during site C construction)
- October 1st, 2018: If the land falls down around Site C, does anyone in Victoria hear? https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/01/if-the-land-falls-down-around-site-c-does-anyone-in-victoria-hear/
- October 9th, 2018: Part II: If the Land falls down around Site C, does anyone in Victoria hear? https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/09/part-ii-if-the-land-falls-down-around-site-c-does-anyone-in-victoria-hear/
- October 12th, 2018: Part III, Old Fort Slide: As evacuation alerts and orders continue, more Site C Geotechnical concerns surface: https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/12/part-iii-old-fort-slide-as-evacuation-alerts-orders-continuemore-questions-for-site-c-geotechnical-concerns/