The case to Stop Site C construction – links & news
On New Years Eve 2015, a resident of the Peace River Valley sent me a photo of the eviction notice BC Hydro had posted to the Shelter at Rocky Mountain Fort camp. I immediately posted to social media via twitter and facebook in an effort to bring public attention to the situation. Although I had written of Site C in passing over the years prior, how wrong it was and how far it had come had completely escaped me.
Since then,I’ve been trying to make up for not paying attention when it was needed the most. I started every day by tweeting in support of the Treaty 8 campers and Peace Valley residents/business owners who remained on site, despite having been served with a civil suit initiated by BC Hydro. You can read that Notice of Claim here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/296120436/Notice-of-Civil-Claim-against-Site-C-protest-camp
I still stand in support of those who held the line at Rocky Mountain Fort Camp, and with all opposed to Site C for many reasons. I feel strongly that the province of British Columbia had been negligent in exempting Site C from independent review of the BC Utilities Commission, the regulatory agency before former premier Clark approved the dam.
Both the former premier and duly elected Liberal MLA’s failed in their inherent duty to act in the best interests of British Columbian taxpayers by refusing every request by not only voters, but also municipalities and organizations across BC to put the project before the BC Utilities Commission.
In addition,by commencing preliminary site preparation despite several outstanding lawsuits by local First Nations against Site C, the province failed in its duty to consult and honour Treaty 8 and demonstrated a complete lack of regard for due process.
Unfortunately, a new government and Premier Horgan, used the same sunk cost fallacy argument that Newfoundland-Labrador premier Dwight Ball did to continue Muskrat Falls, to continue Site C. Documents appear to show however, the decision was made prior to the BCUC report.
This is the page where I will post everything I’ve written about Site C and how the province circumvented process and due diligence. I’ll also post links to other critical reads that are pertinent, in descending order from oldest to newest.
- Jan 2, 2016 – Where it all began: BC Hydro issues eviction notice under cover of New Years Eve https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/02/bc-hydro-issues-rocky-mountain-fort-campers-at-site-c-a-24-hour-eviction-notice-on-new-years-eve/
- Jan 4,2016 – A litmus test for ‘Real Change’ : where is Justin Trudeau on Site C? Why isn’t new federal government investigating why Harper invoked cabinet secrecy on Site C decison? https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/04/the-litmus-test-for-real-change-where-is-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-on-sitec/
- Jan 6, 2016 – ( photos of demonstration here) Separate demonstration at Site C BC Hydro gates results in three arrests, including Arthur Hadland- long time former Peace River politician https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/06/longtime-peace-river-politician-and-site-c-opponent-arthur-hadland-arrested-at-site-c-demonstration-today
- Jan 7, 2017 – UBCIC issues press release one day after Treaty 8 does, asking BC Hydro to stand down. https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/07/first-nations-prepare-for-arrest-to-stop-site-c-dam-ask-prime-minister-to-suspend-federal-approval/
- Jan 8,2016 – Cutting through the spin of Energy Minister Bill Bennetts very misleading statement on Global BC News – How BC government deliberately circumvented regulatory process on Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/08/cutting-through-the-spin-of-energy-minister-bill-bennetts-statements-on-global-bc-news/
- Jan 11,2016 – Powerful and compelling video from Treaty 8 elder at Rocky Mountain Fort, but is anyone listening to his plea? https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/11/powerful-and-compelling-words-from-treaty-8-elders-at-rocky-mountain-fort-campbut-is-anyone-in-government-listening/
- Jan 14, 2016 – How transparency and accountability were lost at both provincial and federal levels on Site C project: The story of how BC Hydro borrows money to pay yearly dividends to the BC government, and how the Harper cabinet kept the reasons for approving the Environmental Assessment Certificate on Site C, a secret. https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/14/deception-and-privileged-secrets-are-common-facets-of-politics-transparency-accountability-on-site-c-lost-at-both-provincial-federal-levels/
- Jan 18, 2016 – Treaty 8 stewards of the land call on provincial and federal governments to meet, and act on three point plan https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/18/treaty-8-stewards-of-the-land-issue-3-point-plan-for-site-c-call-on-provincial-and-federal-governments-to-act/
- Jan 2, 2016 – May the force of No be with you- my response to Premier Christy Clarks comments on the forces of No who want to stop everything in BC. https://lailayuile.com/2016/01/27/may-the-force-of-no-be-with-you/
- Feb 2, 2016 – Premier Christy Clark vows to get Site C past the point of no return at former premiers memorial. https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/02/personal-agenda-trumps-all-as-clark-vows-to-get-site-c-past-the-point-of-no-return-during-memorial/
- Feb 8, 2016 – Why the Muskrat Falls dam fiasco in Newfoundland should provide more reason than ever for Premier Clark to send Site C to an independent review by the BC Utilities Commission. https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/08/muskrat-falls-fiasco-provides-example-for-british-columbians-of-potential-future-of-site-c-why-premier-clark-must-send-project-to-bc-utilities-commission-independent-review/
- Feb 10,2016 – New photos raise big questions about Site C compliance with provincial and federal permits. https://lailayuile.com/2016/02/10/more-questions-raised-about-site-c-construction-compliance-with-provincial-and-federal-fisherieswater-regulations/
- May 4,2016 – The road to power is paved with hypocrisy and casualties https://lailayuile.com/2016/05/04/the-road-to-power-is-paved-with-hypocrisy-and-casualties-frank-underwoodhouse-of-cards/
- May 10,2016 – Monitoring the monitors https://lailayuile.com/2016/05/10/monitoring-the-monitors/
- May 28, 2016 – He did not care in which direction he was driving so long as he was in the drivers seat: https://lailayuile.com/2016/05/28/he-did-not-care-in-which-direction-the-car-was-travelling-so-long-as-he-remained-in-the-drivers-seat-lord-beaverbrook/
- June 10,2016 – Toxic landslides polluting Peace River raise alarms about Fracking near Site C https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/10/toxic-landslides-polluting-peace-river-raise-alarms-about-fracking-site-c/
- June 20, 2016 – Disturbing the Peace, the story of the Site C dam: https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/20/disturbing-the-peace-the-story-of-the-site-c-dam/
- June 24, 2016 – Shocking admission from Nalcor ceo serves as chilling warning to BC government on Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/24/shocking-admission-from-nalcor-energy-ceo-serves-as-chilling-warning-to-bc-government-that-exempted-site-c-project-from-independent-review-of-bcuc/
- June 27, 2016 – Two new warnings issued to BC Hydro…again. https://lailayuile.com/2016/06/27/two-new-warnings-issued-to-bc-hydro-on-site-c-construction-again/
- July 6, 2016 – Site C quarterly report shows costs to date already more than expected: https://lailayuile.com/2016/07/06/site-c-quarterly-public-update-shows-project-already-more-than-expected-milestones-missed/
- July 8, 2016 – Politicians are people who learn not to blink when they lie: https://lailayuile.com/2016/07/08/politicians-are-people-who-learn-not-to-blink-when-they-lie-%E2%80%95-robert-black/
- July 21, 2016 – Site C aerial photos show a mess of dikes, water and slides https://lailayuile.com/2016/07/21/site-c-aerial-photos-show-mess-of-dikeswater-and-slides/
- Aug 8 2016 – It’s hard being right when the wrong has already been done: https://lailayuile.com/2016/08/08/its-hard-being-right-when-the-wrong-has-already-been-done/
- Sept 2, 2016 – New Site C photos show continued slide mitigation on the North slope https://lailayuile.com/2016/09/21/new-site-c-photos-show-continued-mitigation-efforts-on-slide-prone-north-slope-construction/
- Oct 19, 2016 – Sometimes you just have to sit down and write: https://lailayuile.com/2016/10/19/sometimes-you-just-have-to-sit-down-and-write/
- Oct 23, 2016 – If there is any saving grace to Muskrat Falls, let it be the light it shines on Premier Clarks vow to get Site C past the point of no return: https://lailayuile.com/2016/10/23/if-there-is-any-saving-grace-to-muskrat-falls-let-it-be-the-light-it-shines-on-premier-clarks-vow-to-get-site-c-past-the-point-of-no-return/
- Nov 1, 2016 – I have a stake in the Peace… do you? https://lailayuile.com/2016/11/01/i-have-a-stake-in-the-peace-do-you/
- Nov 10, 2016 – New photos show new cracks and landslide yet again on the north slope of Site C. How much are they costing us and how long before someone gets hurt?: https://lailayuile.com/2016/11/10/new-photos-show-new-cracks-and-landslide-yet-again-on-the-north-slope-of-site-c-how-much-are-they-costing-us-and-how-long-before-someone-gets-hurt/
- Dec 8, 2016 – Site C panning out to make Fast Ferries look like pocket change: https://lailayuile.com/2016/12/08/site-c-panning-out-to-make-fast-ferries-look-like-pocket-change/
- July 19, 2018 – New documents offer chilling contradiction- to Horgan and Mungall- Why the NDP must stop Site C now: https://lailayuile.com/2018/07/19/new-documents-expert-testimony-report-offer-chilling-contradiction-to-horgan-mungall-why-the-ndp-must-halt-site-c-now-force-hydro-to-come-clean/
- July 22, 2018 The impact of Site C: if what’s going on up here, would happen down there they would shut it down in aheartbeat: https://lailayuile.com/2018/07/22/if-whats-going-on-up-herewould-happen-down-there-they-would-shut-it-down-in-a-heartbeat-thered-be-no-messing-chief-roland-willson-on-impact-of-site-c/
- Aug 30, 2018 – Next stop, Site C: https://lailayuile.com/2018/08/30/next-stop-site-c/
- Sept 5, 2018 – Guest Post: Journey to the sacrifice zone of Site C: https://lailayuile.com/2018/09/05/guest-post-journey-to-the-sacrifice-zone-of-site-c/
- Oct 1, 2018 – If the land falls down around Site C, does anyone in Victoria hear? https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/01/if-the-land-falls-down-around-site-c-does-anyone-in-victoria-hear/
- Oct 9, 2018 – Part 2: If the land falls down around site c, does anyone in Victoria hear? https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/09/part-ii-if-the-land-falls-down-around-site-c-does-anyone-in-victoria-hear/
- Oct 2, 2018: Part III, Old Fort Slide- more geotech concerns for Site C : https://lailayuile.com/2018/10/12/part-iii-old-fort-slide-as-evacuation-alerts-orders-continuemore-questions-for-site-c-geotechnical-concerns/
August 6th, 2020 : BC Hydro & NDP use Covid delays to cover for the real story of Site C progress report : No foundation stability, No plan in sight to fix it, No final project cost & No in service date https://lailayuile.com/2020/08/06/bc-hydro-ndp-use-covid-delays-to-cover-for-the-real-story-of-site-c-progress-report-no-foundation-no-plan-in-sight-to-fix-it-no-final-project-cost-and-no-in-service-date/
Why is the BC NDP about to divert the Peace River when they dont know if it can be fixed or how much it will all cost. https://lailayuile.com/2020/10/03/why-is-the-bc-ndp-about-to-divert-the-peace-river-when-they-dont-even-know-if-it-can-be-fixed-or-how-much-it-will-cost/
~From 24 Hours Vancouver, The Duel~
Related stories : Old Fort Slide ( Downstream from Site C, slides occurred during site C construction)