- Follow @lailayuile
- Ottawa, this is BC calling… Come in Ottawa.. this is BC calling – we actually need the Coast Guard here. Do you copy? …….
- This weeks new column for 24Hrs Vancouver: Mayors can’t afford to ignore housing
- When wrong just doesn’t begin to describe it.
- Submissions raise eyebrows at Electoral Boundaries Commission public hearing in Surrey with ‘Gracie’s Finger’ references, opposition to changes in key Liberal ridings.
- The end of something wonderful and the start of something new
- This weeks column for 24Hrs Vancouver: Alberta NDP will hurt the premier
- Politics must not trump public safety – It’s time for government to put its money where its mouth is when it comes to Surrey.
- Orange Crush served up in Alberta by Notley win,but can the BC NDP ride the wave to leadership in 2017?
What people are saying
workforfun on Ottawa, this is BC calling… JDC on Ottawa, this is BC calling… R on Ottawa, this is BC calling… FRJ on Ottawa, this is BC calling… e.a.f. on Ottawa, this is BC calling… Laila on This weeks new column for 24Hr…
- Ottawa, this is BC calling... Come in Ottawa.. this is BC calling - we actually need the Coast Guard here. Do you copy? .......
- This weeks new column for 24Hrs Vancouver: Mayors can't afford to ignore housing
- Translink FOI release of untendered contract extension begs the question: Which is the easier ride: Skytrain or gravy train ?
- Want to know how much it costs to build a road,bridge or overpass?
- Surrey ranks in the Top 10 Most Dangerous cities in Canada - so why not add slot machines to one of the poorest neighbourhoods?
- 100 + reasons the BC Liberals must go.
- Why did the BC government repeal the Weather Modification Act ?
- When wrong just doesn't begin to describe it.
Tag Archives: kiewit
“…the contractor who built the wall — Peter Kiewit and Sons — used parts in the retaining wall that do not meet ministry standards….”
A wise man once told me that the best thing for any organization to do when facing a potentially explosive public relations issue was to “tell the truth, tell it all, and tell it damn quick.” First the issues were … Continue reading
When I published the photos of the conditions of just three of the 219 retaining walls on the Sea to Sky Highway last year, the Ministry of Transportation said the issue was merely cosmetic, and that the walls are inspected … Continue reading
There’s something more than a little ironic about having tennis elbow when you don’t even play tennis. For a while it’s been quite bothersome to sit,write and research for any extended amount of time, as my left elbow and forearm … Continue reading
Wise words for many policy makers who often seem to demonstrate a lack of empathy and understanding of how the real world works for the average person, perhaps because they spend more time behind their desk than out and about … Continue reading
Sea to Sky retaining wall questions continue as ministry employee emails indicate Kiewit inspected their own work.
With ongoing rainstorms and occasional flooding that has hit many areas on the north shore recently, water drainage and erosion is a concern to many. This of course jogged my memory to look for an update on a story I … Continue reading
Troubling photos spark Ministry of Transportation inspections of Sea to Sky retaining walls, creating new concerns over Kiewit construction.
The Ministry of Transportation is investigating the condition of at least three MSE ( Mechanically Stabilized Earth) retaining walls along the Sea to Sky Highway, according to sources close to the project. This action finally comes after specific Ministry employee’s received the photos … Continue reading
I’ve received quite a few emails this summer from readers wondering why I haven’t been covering the activities of the BC government, considering this years summer session of the Legislature, and a variety of scandals and stories that have emerged. Quite … Continue reading
The top post of 2012 on LailaYuile.com: “How money and corruption are ruining the land.” originally posted June 19th, 2012
Corruption in government has been on many readers minds this year, backed up by this story, first posted here back in June, which received a whopping number of unique views, catching the attention of readers and governments alike, around the world. As a precursor … Continue reading
Intrepid reporter Dave White of News 1130, came across a big story today…. http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/420521–concerns-raised-in-us-around-bc-highways-contractor “SEATTLE (NEWS1130) – Some alleged major problems with massive construction projects have been exposed in the US, involving a contractor also hired to build and maintain BC highways. The accusations … Continue reading
Harpers “quiet” meeting with Chinese Communist Party propaganda Chief – why were Canadian media last to know?
“One of China’s most powerful figures slipped into Ottawa unannounced. Unless you were watching Chinese TV. Li Changchun is ranked No. 5 in the Chinese hierarchy, one of the nine members of the Standing Committee of the Politburo of the … Continue reading