- @tweettothehan Highly unlikely for most Canadians until summer is over,kids are back in school &it's three weeks before voting day #cdnpoli 1 hour ago
- “It’s not what you look at that matters…it’s what you see.” ~ Henry David Thoreau.
- Last weeks column for 24Hrs Vancouver City Hall: Take big money out of civic campaigns
- Last weeks City Hall column for 24Hrs Vancouver: Surrey LRT plans scary expensive!
- Forest fire prevention and mitigation in BC: At what point does inaction become negligence?
- This weeks City Hall column for 24Hrs Vancouver: Regional politicians deserve more scrutiny
- “O Canada, O Canada, who stands watch from sea to sea? Who for a lost democracy? Who for the true north strong and free? If not you then let it be me”
- Hindsight is only helpful if you apply the lesson learned to future actions.
- Last weeks column for 24Hrs Vancouver: Transparency hit new low during plebiscite
What people are saying
r on “It’s not what you… John's Aghast on “It’s not what you… nonconfidencevote on “It’s not what you… e.a.f. on “It’s not what you… Laila on “It’s not what you… nonconfidencevote on “It’s not what you…
- "It's not what you look at that matters...it's what you see." ~ Henry David Thoreau.
- Surrey ranks in the Top 10 Most Dangerous cities in Canada - so why not add slot machines to one of the poorest neighbourhoods?
- 100 + reasons the BC Liberals must go.
- Why exactly, is the Mars Bomber sitting idle?
- Who's the scrooge at Real Canadian Superstore? **update with response January 14th, 2015
- Terasen Gas and BC Hydro kill me with their billing.
- Want to know how much it costs to build a road,bridge or overpass?
Tag Archives: kiewit
“…the contractor who built the wall — Peter Kiewit and Sons — used parts in the retaining wall that do not meet ministry standards….”
A wise man once told me that the best thing for any organization to do when facing a potentially explosive public relations issue was to “tell the truth, tell it all, and tell it damn quick.” First the issues were … Continue reading
When I published the photos of the conditions of just three of the 219 retaining walls on the Sea to Sky Highway last year, the Ministry of Transportation said the issue was merely cosmetic, and that the walls are inspected … Continue reading
There’s something more than a little ironic about having tennis elbow when you don’t even play tennis. For a while it’s been quite bothersome to sit,write and research for any extended amount of time, as my left elbow and forearm … Continue reading
Wise words for many policy makers who often seem to demonstrate a lack of empathy and understanding of how the real world works for the average person, perhaps because they spend more time behind their desk than out and about … Continue reading
Sea to Sky retaining wall questions continue as ministry employee emails indicate Kiewit inspected their own work.
With ongoing rainstorms and occasional flooding that has hit many areas on the north shore recently, water drainage and erosion is a concern to many. This of course jogged my memory to look for an update on a story I … Continue reading
Troubling photos spark Ministry of Transportation inspections of Sea to Sky retaining walls, creating new concerns over Kiewit construction.
The Ministry of Transportation is investigating the condition of at least three MSE ( Mechanically Stabilized Earth) retaining walls along the Sea to Sky Highway, according to sources close to the project. This action finally comes after specific Ministry employee’s received the photos … Continue reading
I’ve received quite a few emails this summer from readers wondering why I haven’t been covering the activities of the BC government, considering this years summer session of the Legislature, and a variety of scandals and stories that have emerged. Quite … Continue reading
The top post of 2012 on LailaYuile.com: “How money and corruption are ruining the land.” originally posted June 19th, 2012
Corruption in government has been on many readers minds this year, backed up by this story, first posted here back in June, which received a whopping number of unique views, catching the attention of readers and governments alike, around the world. As a precursor … Continue reading
Intrepid reporter Dave White of News 1130, came across a big story today…. http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/420521–concerns-raised-in-us-around-bc-highways-contractor “SEATTLE (NEWS1130) – Some alleged major problems with massive construction projects have been exposed in the US, involving a contractor also hired to build and maintain BC highways. The accusations … Continue reading
Harpers “quiet” meeting with Chinese Communist Party propaganda Chief – why were Canadian media last to know?
“One of China’s most powerful figures slipped into Ottawa unannounced. Unless you were watching Chinese TV. Li Changchun is ranked No. 5 in the Chinese hierarchy, one of the nine members of the Standing Committee of the Politburo of the … Continue reading